Fair Warning

If you are offended by non-politically correct opinions, you may stop reading this blog.

This is an opinion blog. If stats are stated, it is with every effort that sources will be cited.

Feb 14, 2013

Anti-Valentine's Day

To most men, this is the most dreaded day of the year.  To most women, this is one of the most anticipated days of the year.  Personally, I think it is an over-rated, over-commercialized, biggest piece of bunk there ever was created.
Yes, this is written by a woman.  No, I'm not some scorned and bitter woman who hates all romance.  Quite the contrary; I'm contentedly married to a wonderful man. So why am I anti-Valentine's Day?  The short answer is: "If you can't say/do it the rest of the year, don't bother simply because the calendar says to."
When my husband and I were dating, we hardly ever said "I love you" to each other.  There really wasn't or isn't a need to, when actions speak louder than words.   It means more to me when he randomly, and sometimes secretly, refills my Starbucks card.  Why? Because he knows how much of a treat a latte is to me.  Although I can't speak for him, I'm sure there are little things I do that mean the world to him as well.
Why is it people think that a particular date on the calendar is the ONE day to express your love to someone?  Because the media tells you so.  That being said, I encourage you to walk away from the brainwashing.  Don't pay two to three times more for those flowers than you would any other time of year.  Don't buy a box of chocolates, that most of us women will admit we don't need anyway.  However, so as not to hurt your loved one's feelings, simply make a card stating your feelings, but end the card with a "to be continued..."  Just remember to do those little things throughout the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment